I watched this documentary as the blurb stated "lifts the veil on the food industry, exposing the highly mechanised underbelly that's been hidden from the consumer with the consent of government regulatory agencies." I found it very interesting and informative and although it was mainly about meat and corn I can use some of the information to inform my design.
Some of the most shocking notes I made were...
- McDonalds are the largest purchaser of ground beef, potatoes, pork, chicken, lettuce and apples in the USA.
- In the 1970's the top 5 beef packers controlled 25% of the market. Now the top 4 control 80%.
- Corn is overproduced (commodity crop) and we find uses for it, such as feeding it to cattle.
- Corn is in ketchup, cheese, batteries, peanut butter, coke, jelly, and charcoal.
- This high corn diet has allowed E coli O157H7 to exist, this kills people. It has been found in beef, spinach and apple juice.
- 1772 the FDA did around 50,000 food inspections, in 2006 they did 9,164.
- After a child died from E coli it took 16 days to recall the meat.
- There is now hamburger meat which is cleansed with ammonia to kill E coli, this is used in 70% of hamburgers.
- The average meal travels 1500 miles from farm to supermarket.